- Left my life-sucking job for a far more fulfilling one (that also happened to pay better!)
- Went on many trips: from NYC to Asheville & the Smokies to Kansas City to Colorado to New Orleans & Orlando, as I sat envious next to a co-worker who went on multiple international trips, I have to admit it's been a decent year of travel for this little social worker, too.
- Went on many hikes! Can't wait to revisit them and find new ones to add to the list this year as well as utilize my camping gear and kayak more often.
- Made new friends and rekindled old relationships as well - 2016 may have been a downer, but I had the most thoughtful friends a gal could ask for to help me through it.
- Spent invaluable, substantial family time; though still not as much as I would have liked, I visited with my grandmother multiple times and have strengthened a weakened relationship with my eldest brother - not to mention my other brother visiting me here in Fayetteville or how I spent winter break almost solely with my mother (both a test ;) as well as a cherished reward).
- Was told my Crohn's was not currently in a state of inflammation (no moon face in my immediate future!) after the hiccup this time last year.
- Brewed my first beer on my own without another brewer physically present (well, sort of, I did get a little help after the initial brew day, which was much appreciated). Also tried many other new kitchen endeavors, and rekindled my love with fermentations and from-scratch cooking.
- Attended local events like Last Night Fayetteville, Frost/Foam Fest, the Little Craft Show, Wampus Wonderland, themed parties at my favorite brewery, etc., which others had previously held me back from - no more depending on other people to go with me to events - I'm buying tickets regardless!
- Continued to have the best dog a human can be #blessed with (someone's got a birthday coming up...).
- Started living on my own, sans roommates, which has been so relieving (though I miss the bucks).
- Tried new things, like bouldering gyms (which was ultimately embarrassing after an early hard fall but also cool).
- Attended a Bernie Sanders rally, transitioning from someone who once thought politics were boring and irrelevant to stepping on the path of becoming an informed and participating citizen.
Anyways, I could continuing going on, but the point is that I could keep going on. Despite several heartaches and challenges, I not only survived 2016, but I still have a lot of wonderful things to show for it and I am so excited to fall back in love with myself and the world this year through more of these experiences. I'm not one for setting resolutions and concrete goals on the first of the year per se, but I do a lot of meditating on my intentions for the days to come and I've had a lot of ideas for 2017.
With that said: now on to the announcement bit! This blog shall be transitioning into a project that my friend Alissa and I have had in the works for a while. Its focus will be moving away from my own reflections and personal life to a focus on our community and the daily lives of Northwest Arkansans and southerners in general. We hope to bring you information and reviews about local businesses, organizations, and things to do in our little area of the country (which was named the #3 best place to live in these United States this year). It may be a little while as we work through some kinks, but stay tuned y'all!